Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I was shocked to return home from vacation to find that some action going on in front of my building was the talk of the neighborhood.


I asked the city worker guy, half jokingly, if there'd been an earthquake. He laughed, said no, but that last night it had rained. A lot apparently. Dude, sorry, but that explanation does not cut it.



When I ran into my super old-school, proper Torinese neighbor, she was h.o.r.r.i.f.i.e.d. "Have you seen what has happened??! These things happen in Napoli, but not in Torino! NOT IN TORINO!!"

Evidently someone in Torino did not get the memo.

A room with a view

Thinking I should probably be more concerned than I am. Are those gas lines? Sewer lines?? Thinking how glad I am that my car wasn't parked where what is now the sinkhole. Thinking also how shitty it would be to be the owner of one of the cars parked in the courtyard, which is only accessed by the driveway that is now 10 feet under.


Something tells me this mess is going nowhere fast.

In other news, vacation was fantastic! Good food, ridiculous vistas, a little tanning, lovely people. Photos to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment