Friday, June 10, 2011


The first few years out of college were for me extremely formative in making me into the person I am today. It was my first time living alone, building a home of my own and developing interests and hobbies. I visited the library regularly, watched minimal tv, cooked, got into container gardening, starting my veggies from seed, nurturing them with cleverly rigged-up light contraptions. I volunteered in after-school cooking and gardening programs, and overall just felt content and balanced. It was also during this time that my knowledge and love for the natural world blossomed.

During my days as Ranger Jennifer, I was lucky enough to work with Ranger Amy. Over the years Amy (she has since dropped the "Ranger" as well) has become a close friend and one of the people I most admire. She and her husband Shaun decided to leave city life behind several years ago and became true Texas farmers. I know it hasn't been easy for them, but whenever life becomes too frenetic for me, I look to them and find peace in their example - they have such a loving and respectful relationship, both amongst themselves, as well as their natural environment, and have created such a beautiful world in their new community. Literally - she was a fashion design student in college and Shaun is a graphic designer. Even though they may be out on the prairie, they effortlessly surround themselves with style and beauty.

This month, Edible Austin has a fantastic article all about them and their life on the farm. Check it out here.


And to learn more about A&S, visit their website http://goingtothecountry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment